Chicago Chi Alpha CMIT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss theology and other aspects of the CMIT program

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Discussion Question 1: Stories about God

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Josh_Boman
Admin
Josh_Boman

Discussion Question 1: Stories about God Empty
PostSubject: Discussion Question 1: Stories about God   Discussion Question 1: Stories about God EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 7:43 am

Imagine you meet a student on campus who has never been to church or read the Bible. If you had to pick two stories from the Bible that best illustrate what God is like, which would you choose? Select one story from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament, then explain your choices.
Back to top Go down
https://chicmit.forumotion.com
Rachel_Varghese

Rachel_Varghese

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Question 1: Stories about God   Discussion Question 1: Stories about God EmptyWed Sep 28, 2022 8:28 pm

I would choose the creation story in the Old Testament and the death and resurrection of Jesus in the New. I would start with the creation story because it displays the life God originally intended for us as humans, to live in unity with him- his beloved creation! The story displays the awesome power of God to create everything out of nothing, but also a deeply personal God that wants to do life with us. I would then choose the story of the death and resurrection of Jesus because we see the same God that created the universe coming down to be killed by the very creation he loves so much. But as Paul says, apart from the resurrection our faith and message are in vain! Jesus' resurrection proves his identity as the Son of God, and the Messiah that the Old Testament foretells. It also shows his faithfulness, as Jesus promised that he would resurrect. It also fully atones for our chosen separation from God and we can unite with him again! This God is valiantly loving!
Back to top Go down
Daniel_Macias

Daniel_Macias

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Question 1: Stories about God   Discussion Question 1: Stories about God EmptyWed Sep 28, 2022 9:04 pm

I would choose the Exodus story from the Old Testament and the story of Jesus dying and rising for us from the New Testament. The reason I would choose the story of God freeing his people from slavery in Egypt is because the story is repeated over and over throughout the Old Testament. Whether in the Psalms or even in the New Testament this story is Israels testimony of how they became a nation. The second reason I would choose this is because when Moses asks to see God's glory God says who He is in Exodus 34:6. The context of everything that just happened makes these words seems to be in bold when I read them. This story not only plainly states who God is but really shows who He is as well.

I would tell a student about the death and resurrection of Jesus for almost the same reason I would tell them the Exodus story. This story is why Christianity is a thing. It is so central to our faith, and it shows us the kind of God we serve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Question 1: Stories about God   Discussion Question 1: Stories about God Empty

Back to top Go down

Discussion Question 1: Stories about God
Page 1 of 1