Chicago Chi Alpha CMIT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss theology and other aspects of the CMIT program

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

History Discussion Questions: Episode 4

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Josh_Boman
Admin
Josh_Boman

History Discussion Questions: Episode 4 Empty
PostSubject: History Discussion Questions: Episode 4   History Discussion Questions: Episode 4 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 11:11 am

Choose one of the following topics and write a brief response:

Technology - How did the invention of the printing press affect the spread of the Protestant Reformation? How do you see new technologies impacting the spiritual lives of college students today?

Conscience - When challenged, Luther is supposed to have said, “My conscience is held captive to the word of God…Here I stand, I can do no other.” Protestants have similarly appealed to their consciences over religious hierarchy and institutions. What are some of the positive and negative consequences of this approach to determining spiritual truth?

Politics and Culture - Many of the the first European settlers to North America were fleeing the religious persecution and violence of the 30 Years War. What impact do you think this has had on shaping the values of church and culture in America?
Back to top Go down
https://chicmit.forumotion.com
Daniel_Macias

Daniel_Macias

PostSubject: Re: History Discussion Questions: Episode 4   History Discussion Questions: Episode 4 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:01 pm

Conscience

In Romans chapter 2 Paul talks about how gentiles without the law can still follow it because it is written in their hearts. Their conscious will either defend or accuse them of their actions. This scenario speaks to those who do not have the written law for their lives. So I think this could apply to followers of Jesus who do not have a written law for specific situations in their lives. I think this could apply to Martin Luther in his reformation. Yet here are some things to consider. Scripture commands us to submit to our authorities unless they are breaking the word of God. So if one's conscious says an institution is breaking the word of God, they have the beginning stages of an okay to following their conscious.

Why beginning stages and not full permission? We are still fallen, easily corruptible, moral pawns in the devils scheme to kill steal and destroy. We see how good the devil is at twisting scripture when Jesus is tempted in the wilderness and we could easily fall into deception if we are not led by the Spirit.

Following your conscious alone can lead to some dangerous places. However following your conscious along with the word of God, clear confirmation of prayer, stamps of approval from trusted peers/mentors can lead to a much better success rate of "fighting religious institutions."
Back to top Go down
Rachel_Varghese

Rachel_Varghese

PostSubject: Re: History Discussion Questions: Episode 4   History Discussion Questions: Episode 4 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 10:52 pm

Technology

Calvin used the printing press to spread the Geneva Bible. It was spread to all who could read it, and it was carefully annotated and translated to guide the Christian life. It is split into "verses", as well as notes to guide interpretation.

Technology today operates in a very similar way in terms of large quantities of resources that are now available. We have more translations, commentaries, maps, and historical context maps, and more. Everyone who could read then, and now anyone who has access to the internet! I can definitely see that college students today may sometimes have so many "sources" that they have a difficult time sifting through what is good and what is not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: History Discussion Questions: Episode 4   History Discussion Questions: Episode 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

History Discussion Questions: Episode 4
Page 1 of 1