Chicago Chi Alpha CMIT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss theology and other aspects of the CMIT program

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

History Discussion Questions: Episode 5

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Josh_Boman
Admin
Josh_Boman

History Discussion Questions: Episode 5 Empty
PostSubject: History Discussion Questions: Episode 5   History Discussion Questions: Episode 5 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2022 8:05 am

Choose one of the following topics and write a brief response:

"Evangelical” - This episode traced the theological/religious development of evangelicalism. The word “evangelical” has gained additional shades of meaning in recent years, being commonly used to describe political and cultural elements as well. Do you feel comfortable labeling yourself (or Chi Alpha) as evangelical? What value do you see in that term?

Adaptation - One key theme in this series has been the ways Christianity adapted to the historical situations it found itself in. This was on full display as evangelicalism swept across the globe. How do you see Chi Alpha fitting within that storyline? How is it adapting the message and methods of Christianity to fit the university context in 2022?

Pentecostalism - What did you think about the host’s assertion that pentecostalism (especially the kind that preaches “prosperity”) is in danger of adapting so much that it becomes something distinct from traditional Christianity?
Back to top Go down
https://chicmit.forumotion.com
Daniel_Macias

Daniel_Macias

PostSubject: Re: History Discussion Questions: Episode 5   History Discussion Questions: Episode 5 EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 4:13 pm

Pentecostalism

I don't think the host's assertion is very far off or ridiculous. I think he has a fair point. The prosperity gospel is a twisting or a misunderstanding of scripture and if prosperity gospel fellowships continue in these misunderstandings, I wouldn't be surprised to see it practice something different from traditional Christianity. While they could easily see their mistake and become more orthodox, I think it's more likely to continue in more misunderstanding of scripture which would lead to a different religion.
Back to top Go down
Rachel_Varghese

Rachel_Varghese

PostSubject: Re: History Discussion Questions: Episode 5   History Discussion Questions: Episode 5 EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 9:11 pm

Evangelical
I am comfortable labeling myself (and Chi Alpha) as Evangelical. From the late Greek: euangelion, meaning the good news or gospel. I am definitely wary of who I will no-context say "I am an evangelical" with no description. A lot of the college students' first image is the big scary "western white man evangelical". There is a global impact that is sometimes missed. I want to be aware of our blindspots when I can, but I think the historic tradition of the Evangelical movement and the move to actively spread the gospel is a good one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: History Discussion Questions: Episode 5   History Discussion Questions: Episode 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

History Discussion Questions: Episode 5
Page 1 of 1