Chicago Chi Alpha CMIT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss theology and other aspects of the CMIT program

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

History Discussion Questions: Episode 3

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Josh_Boman
Admin
Josh_Boman

History Discussion Questions: Episode 3 Empty
PostSubject: History Discussion Questions: Episode 3   History Discussion Questions: Episode 3 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 10:16 am

Choose one of the themes below. Write a paragraph on how that theme affected the Orthodox Church. Then write a paragraph on how it affects you today.

1. Enduring persecution. What factors helped the Orthodox Church endure such sustained persecution? What things in your life might help you if you faced persecution?

2. Art in worship. What place does art have in Orthodox worship? What role would you like to see it play in your Chi Alpha or local church?

3. Infighting. How did internecine church conflicts affect the vitality of the Orthodox Church? How have you seen similar patterns affect the church in our age?
Back to top Go down
https://chicmit.forumotion.com
Rachel_Varghese

Rachel_Varghese

PostSubject: Re: History Discussion Questions: Episode 3   History Discussion Questions: Episode 3 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 10:37 pm

2. Art in worship
Art within the Orthodox church is to serve as a "three-way meeting, between artist, worshipper, and God," as the episode puts it. In an art history class I took, I learned that art was often used to guide the worshiper through the process of worshipping God. Art that leads the viewer to interact with it to repent, be in awe of, or praise God. The art in the Orthodox Church has made itself synonymous with iconography today. The experience of heaven could be conceptualized through incredible art and architecture.

Today, art plays a slightly different role in our Chi Alpha services. We have pretty slideshow graphics, but I often mourn the death of ornament in our "contemporary" churches. Whether that be in the architecture of the church buildings themselves or in the art they have literally hanging. I love when churches really make their sanctuary beautiful because to me it feels like they are bringing honor to God. I do enjoy the lights we put up for our worship services, but most of the time that is the extent of the physical "art" in the space.
Back to top Go down
Daniel_Macias

Daniel_Macias

PostSubject: Re: History Discussion Questions: Episode 3   History Discussion Questions: Episode 3 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 11:30 pm

Orthodox Christians use art, specifically icons in their worship. The thought behind this idea is to help the worshiper have a greater experience in knowing the divine. Because of the Old Testament commandments, Christians had to choose to follow what Jews did (not make any graven images of God) or what Greeks did (the opposite). The Orthodox church had a classic response and made paintings, not graven images. So they had art, but not graven images. This helped them in their worship to Jesus.

I have always enjoyed how at Catholic churches they have the story of Jesus painted on the wall or in sections on the window. I think that's something beautiful to have. No matter your reading level you can understand paintings and know the story of Jesus through images. I think something like that would be awesome to have in a Chi Alpha worship service. In addition, I feel like any kind of art that would help students connect more with Jesus is a full send by me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: History Discussion Questions: Episode 3   History Discussion Questions: Episode 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

History Discussion Questions: Episode 3
Page 1 of 1